Senior Director of Development and Donor RelationsCompany: Valley Village
Date Posted: April 27, 2018
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, coordinate and assure implementation of strategies to develop strong relationships with current donors and expand the existing pool of major gift prospects, with the goal of significantly increasing both the number and size of gifts to support the organization.
- Working with staff and board leadership, continue to build on the thriving Legacy Group, to create a growing endowment to sustain the organization.
- Design and lead a comprehensive annual fundraising plan, continuously evaluating its strengths and areas of potential improvement.
- Create and implement successful stewardship and donor marketing campaigns to engage, cultivate and steward major gift, planned gift, and public support donors of Valley Village.
- Develop, lead and evaluate a comprehensive annual fundraising plan that focuses on individual giving and goals.
- Solicit donations through individual, face-to-face meetings with donors and prospects.
- Develop a variety of methods to cultivate potential major donors, which may include small, private events, face-to-face visits, invitations to meet clients and staff, and other methods that will deepen a donor's relationship with the organization and its mission.
- Personally solicit major gifts through individual, face-to-face meetings with donors and prospects.
- Create and implement systems for regular communications with Valley Village donors and constituents.
- Closely collaborate with the Executive Director in overall strategic plans for major donors activities.
- Work with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, team members, relevant Program staff, and other key stakeholders to design personal donor cultivation and stewardship plans, special materials, and donor cultivation events.
- Support the Executive Director's fundraising activities, which may include scheduling meetings with prospects, joining her in certain meetings, training and briefing her prior to key meetings or phone conversations with prospects. Similar support will be required for Board members actively involved in major gift fundraising.
- Ensure that best practices Fundraising Policies and Procedures are in place, to guide the acceptance, processing and acknowledgement of gifts, establish the Board's fundraising responsibilities and devise gift acceptance policies as they relate to gifts of securities, property and in-kind gifts.
- Assure development and maintenance of appropriate systems that support fund development, including but not limited to, volunteer and donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition
- Maintain accountability and compliance standards, as well as timely reporting, for donors and funding sources.
- Supervise the development staff and set clear team direction that aligns with the Valley Village mission and vision.
- Provide staff with performance feedback and act as a coach and mentor.
- Promote an inclusive work environment for the team and model inclusive behavior and a positive attitude.
- Attend departmental and organizational events for shared planning, team building, and professional development.
- Supervise development staff responsible for day-to-day management of the DonorPerfect database.
- Be certain you and the staff consistently record detailed contact reports to create thorough records on donor interactions and next steps.
- Request regular reports on donor activities, monthly giving totals and other data, which will be shared with the Executive Director and board committees.
- Oversee creation and production of collateral fundraising materials, including brochures, newsletters, and mailings targeted for major donors, as well as event invitations, web pages, presentations, promotional videos, and other communications vehicles aimed at a broad range of donors.
- Serve as the principal editor as well as the principal translator of Valley Village brand and graphic standards for the Development Department.
- Represent Valley Village at certain public meetings as an ambassador to the community. This role may also be delegated to other members of the development or program staff, when appropriate.
- Develop a series of intimate cultivation (not fundraising) events to encourage prospects and donors to support Valley Village.
- Conceptualize and oversee the management of all logistics and details for small to large fundraising events.
- Oversight of event logistics includes: timelines, event schedule, staff/volunteer schedule, vendor negotiations, management updates/reports, and budget development and monitoring.
- Bachelor's degree required
- 7+ years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success as a development executive, with the ability to forge and manage relationships with a diverse group of individual donors.
- Experience writing and/or overseeing the writing of grant proposals and corporate sponsorship requests.
- A track record of personally soliciting and securing gifts of $25,000 or more.
- Proven expertise with development databases. Donor Perfect experience preferred.
- Ability to use donor management system to create fundraising strategies for all levels of giving. Demonstrated experience in large and small-scale event planning.
- Experience managing a small staff with a range of professional experience and goals.
- Ability to represent Valley Village in front of small and large groups.
- A history of exercising good judgment and responsible decision-making skills.
- Must be a detail-oriented, self-starter with a demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and priorities to meet aggressive timelines and challenging deadlines.
- Excellent creative writing and editing skills, including the ability to develop successful marketing collateral and other materials.
We offer a great team environment, opportunities for growth and benefits including:
- Competitive Salary Medical, Dental, Vision, AFLAC and Life, STD/LTD Insurance Vacation, Sick Time and Holiday Pay 403(b) retirement account And much more...
How to apply:
Please indicate your desired salary along with your resume and cover letter
You can email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax your resume to (818) 587-9184
Apply in our office at 20830 Sherman Way, Winnetka, CA 91306
To learn more about our company, please visit us at www.valleyvillage.org.
Valley Village is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We believe all of our employees should be treated fairly, consistently, and with dignity and respect.